Monday, 30 September 2013

Our President Does Not Read- Phumelele Mothadi

The following is adapted from the Mothadi Dictionary

Jacob Zuma (noun)
Definition: A man with several counts of rape against him, despite his six wives and  twenty children. A polygamist. A man living under the scrutiny of over fifty million people.

How to use it in a sentence:
That bald man with a flashy car looks like such a Jacob Zuma!

After reading two articles about how the president of South Africa does not read, I found myself trying to understand what I personally took from the articles. Being a 14-year-old who believes that the answer to any question can be found in a book, a 14-year-old whose sole motivation are all the books I have not yet read, it is only expected for me to frown upon the fact that the man who is supposed to be intellectual royalty does not even read.

Though surprisingly, that is not how I felt at all, in fact being the self-confessed Ms Read-A-Lot that I am, I know that the power of the way you think after reading is not in your hands but rather in the hands of the author. Reading programmes your mind to think in a certain way, be it for two minutes or two decades. Believing that Jacob Zuma is an unfit president after reading article X that says so, is exactly what the author would like and believing that Jacob Zuma's reading should be left alone because there are bigger problems at hand after reading article Y that says so, is exactly what the author would like.

I personally think that the people of  South Africa are constantly hung up on the expectations that THEY THEMSELVES have set for their president that even a slight slip-up from him is a heart attack inducing apocalypse!!!

I SAY... LET'S (even for a moment) FOCUS ON THE SUSPICIOUSLY DROPPED RAPE CHARGES. LET'S FOCUS ON THE CORRUPTION. LETS FOCUS ON THE SECRECY BILL.

No comments:

Post a Comment