Tuesday, 24 September 2013

I Am David - First Impressions - Julia Brown

I am David sounds like such a heroic title. It is almost as though the title itself is said with much pride and assurance of what is being said, but as I began to read the book, I almost immediately felt that David has no idea who he is, and for me that really contradicts the title. I know that in pages to come David might find himself, and build himself up to be a strong individual, but according to my first impressions, David is a lost soul, tied down by religious prejudice.

Another thing about the book, was that for such a major part (when David escapes the camp) very little detail was gone into, and I found myself wanting more, and a more in depth description. Perhaps it was written like this on purpose to emphasise how quickly it all happened, in a mindless flurry.

Later on in the book, I am hoping that the writer will let us in a little bit more into David's struggles but more importantly I am hoping that David will grow into the confident, self-assured young man that is portrayed in the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment