Monday, 16 September 2013

I am David. First Impression- Emma Zyde

When I was reading the first few lines of the book, I was already put into a state of curiosity.
Who is "David"? Who is "the man' that helps David escape?

The only thing I know for sure is that David is a twelve year old boy that is (in the beginning of the book) situated in a camp (probably a concentration camp) and he is probably a person that is disliked by the Germans. So maybe he is a Jew or a Gypsies... so it is not a detailed beginning.

What I like about the beginning of the book, is that it gives you a lot of personal views on things which makes it more interesting. When you analyse the text, you can notice that it also uses a lot of emotive language and I find that it really does make an impact on your emotions. Like the part when he is sent, by his compass, through a thorn bush and he has a lot of pain by the first thorn but when he carries on, he kind of forgets about the pain. This also shows courage and bravery.

The part that I found rather sad is the part when he washes himself with the soap that he got from “the man” to wash away the smell, the feeling and the experience of the concentration camp. It tells you that he had had a very terrible time there and wants to forget about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment